Friday, May 23, 2008

where have all the women gone?

What with the initial chaos of moving and taking control of the new office and cleaning house there, so to speak, I've just gotten around to unpacking my things. I stumbled across an article on the devolution of women on sitcoms. Much as I love the shoes and my hero Samantha on Sex in the City, the women on 21st century television are dependent, man-centric, half-people. Rachel, Monica, Carrie, Charlotte, Roz & Daphne ... the single women on television are all looking for men, all rate their success in life according to whether they've found "the one." What pathetic bullshit. Give me Mary Tyler Moore. She may not have been running the station, but she wasn't continually running to men to validate her existence. Maybe the only independent women left are in the newsroom. No surprise to me ;)

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you there! I'm a big Grey's Anatomy fan and recently, they redefined a character's stance on what being "extraordinary" was. Initially, her mom, this hard-ass surgeon, would browbeat her with the need to be "extraordinary" and I loved it, even though it was harsh, because it seemed similar to my mom's over-ardent feminism. In this season's finale, it turns out the mom (who's been written off the show and therefore can't speak for herself) meant "Be extraordinary in love."

Not in surgery.

In love.

Wha..?