Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Time

I'm not sure how anyone can really combat the kind of attack that happened in Tokyo. A man posted warnings on the internet saying that he would ram a truck into people at the Akihabara shopping center and then start in on them with a knife. After posting, "It's time," he promptly followed through, killing 7 people.

It does seem like we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we police the internet and crack down on people who post violent ideas, then we're censoring thought. If we don't, people die.

Also, in the New York Times article, there's some interesting chit-chat trying to "understand" the perpetrator. (Although I guess it's a Reuters reporter empathizing.) I say, stop empathizing, start locking up violent, crazy people. Maybe the culture in Japan is what's influencing people to do these things.

Then again, I watch all those Japanese horror movies myself and *I'm* not a violent person.

Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Tyler Jackson said...

Those wacky, violent Japonese, huh?

If I had to go to cram school, I'd be pretty unstable and bitter, too.

Tyler Jackson said...

Whoah, I got a little Spanish there for a sec.

Japanese.

Sheesh.